Tuesday, April 14, 2009

GFC update #1: Cheap white v Cheap red


My last post alluded to this, where I recommended that you by a cheap white instead.

Whilst this blog generally drinks red wine (70-80% of the time), this blog is firmly of the opinion that cheap white is far superior to cheap red. Firstly, many whites do not need, or need less, oak. And oak can be expensive. And a corollary of less oak is that it spends less time in the barrel. It can therefore be released sooner, and the time value of money therefore becomes less important in whites. Because of this, a better white may be had for a cheaper price. 

But that is not the end of the matter. For some reason, bad red wine is often more offensive than bad white, regardless.

My normal advise would be to buy beer instead, but with the price of a 6-pack of local beer now costing $15 at the supermarkets, cheap wine may look attractive. However:

The Golden Rule: Whilst cheap white is better than cheap red, cheap beer eclipses both. 

It is just a pity that supermarkets are pricing beer out of the market on the 6-pack level. For slightly more than the price of two 6-packs, one can buy a slab from a discount liquor merchant (e.g. $30 v $32 for two 6-packs of carlton at safeway/woolworths versus a slab of carlton at 1st Choice or Dan's).

Why you want this wine: It's white, it's cheap, it's better than red for the price. Go the beer though if you can afford the slab purchase.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a cheap pinot grigio that you recommend? I normally drink Luna di Luna Chardonnay/Pinot Grigio or Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio. Both of these wines are cheap, but I wouldn't mind spending a little more if you had some suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarahbella,

    I don't drink much Pinot Gris/Grigio. I think I've probably only bought one bottle in my lifetime. Pinot Gris/Grigio is not favoured by many serious wine drinkers. I think the problem is that Gris/Grigio is never profound, it is merely a crowd pleaser. That being said, it is a wine that is often innofensive, and I assume that is why people like it. If I were to spend more, there are a few chardonnay's that I would try, but pinot gris can be a budget option.

    ReplyDelete