Thursday, April 16, 2009

Trentham Estate Chardonnay 2008


Discounted to $7.something. Apparently was $15ish.

Not a bad wine - indeed, quite good for a white. There is a hint of oak, perhaps even more than a hint. Definite chardonnay varietal expression.

I will not apologise for liking this wine, why should I? It was bought at heavily discounted price, but it's worth the list ask. The back label says "sourced from our finest vinyard". That's vineyard, singular. And it tastes great.

And yet again, this is another example of cheap white being far superior to cheap red. I can't imagine a $7 bottle of red tasting this good.

I like Trentham, and I may not be sure why. I seem to remember a good wine of theirs 4 or so years ago. A nebbiolo I think. And I remember it being great. Light, but highly complex. This is another in the same mould. Trentham can be bad - I had a very bad pinot from them the other week, but when they are good they are great. One to watch.

Score: 90/100

Why You Want This Wine: Trentham has potential, and a few of their wines are great value. Just pick the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment